For the last 14 years, ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine) has circulated an electronic survey to thousands of fitness professionals around the world to determine health and fitness trends for the following year. This survey guides health and fitness programming and training efforts for 2020 and beyond, and as fitness professionals and studio owners, this survey together with continuing education help in determining real trends vs fads, investments in new equipment, marketing efforts to potential new members and a better understanding on how to improve our services and deliver results for our members.
Your top 5 Worldwide Fitness Trends for 2020 are;
1. Wearable technology includes fitness trackers, smart watches, heart rate monitors and GPS tracking devices. Wearable technology has been estimated to be about a $95 billion industry. This trend tops the list for the 2nd consecutive year and for the 4th time in five years.
2. High-intensity interval training programs typically involve short bursts of high intensity bouts of exercise followed by a short period of rest or active recovery. Note that HIIT has been in the top 5 between 2014 and 2020. HIIT happens and it’s here to stay.
3. Group training are designed to be effective, motivational for different fitness levels with fitness instructors leading and motivating the group. The classes could be equipment-based classes, indoor cycling to dance based classes.
4. Training with free weights. Previously, this category described as “strength training.” I’m glad that “strength training” was dropped in favor of the more specific free weight training. Barbells, kettlebells, dumbbells, sandbags, TRX, medicine ball, are all considered free weight training.
5. Personal training has been a Top 10 Trend since the first published trends report in 2006. Personal training includes fitness testing and goal setting with the trainer working one-on-one with a client to prescribe workouts tailored to the individual’s needs and goals.
As owners of IslandFit, we are extremely excited that we can offer and provide our members with the top 5 training services and programs on this 2020 fitness list.