The year 2020, also known as the year of the Covid-19 pandemic has shifted the fitness community to rethink fitness trends on how we can continue to do business and stay in business in 2021 and beyond. These fitness trends were collected from a survey that was conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) whom has been collecting these feedbacks for the past fifteen years. Although we can not accurately predict the future, this survey serves to assist owners, operators, program directors and health and fitness professionals with making important business and program decisions.
Here are your top 5 Fitness Trends for 2021
1. Online Training: The Covid-19 pandemic has forced everyone in the fitness industry to use different platforms for virtual training. This trend uses digital streaming technology to deliver group, individual, or instructional exercise programs online. This type of training is either available 24/7 through prerecorded or live streaming trainings.
2. Wearable Technology: Wearable technology was the number one trend since 2016, with the only exception in 2018 where it was at number three. We use MYZONE at IslandFit where it has become an important component of our training programs. These devices are designed to provide instant feedback on trainings, giving both the users and coaches the opportunity to adjust training duration and/or intensity. A US$100 billion industry that it’s here to stay.
3. Body weight training: Using your own body weight with different planes of motion to create a dynamic training program. The Covid-19 year has forced coaches and users to be creative with programming using your own body weight as a training modality. An inexpensive, versatile and effective option than using fitness equipment.
4. Outdoor activities: Perhaps of the pandemic, but outdoor activities will continue to grow as most people are either not comfortable wearing masks while working out indoors, or feel much safer to be training outdoors. Group walks/runs. team bike rides and outdoor group fitness classes will continue to grow as long as we are recovering from the pandemic.
5. HIIT: A staple at IslandFit. High Intensity Interval Training, involves short bursts of higher intensity bouts of exercise followed by a short period of rest. This type of training helps to boost your metabolism while burning tons of calories even after you leave the studio.
We are proud to say that IslandFit offers and provides our members with different training programs from the top 5 fitness trends of 2021